Dr D KALPANA
- Academic Background
- Professional Background
- Areas of Scientific Interest
- Awards & Honours
- Patents and Copyrights
- Post-Doc from Chonnam National University, South Korea
Areas of Scientific Interest
- Fuel cells and supercapacitors
Awards & Honours
- Received Young Scientist Award for the paper entitled, “ Acrylamide based proton conducting polymer gel electrolyte for supercapacitors” in the Second International conference on electroactive polymers: Materials and devices (ICEP 2007), Goa.
- Won the first prize and received the Best Paper Award for the paper entitled, “ A new class of solid polymer electrolyte for high surface area carbon aerogel for supercapacitors” in the 12th National Convention of Electrochemists (NCE – 12) held at Madurai during 18-19 February 2005.
- Received the Best Paper Award for the paper entitled, “Electrochemical properties of LiCo0.5Fe0.5O2” in National Conference on Power Electronics (IEEE-PEECON) held at National Institute of Technology, Chennai on February 2003.
- Received the Best Paper Award and bagged Gold medal for the paper entitled, “Physico-chemical properties of LiNi0.5Fe0.5O2” in the 11th National Convention of Electrochemists held at CECRI, Karaikudi on April 2002
- Received the Best Paper Award for the paper entitled, “ Alkaline solid polymer electrolyte for Ni-MH batteries” in the Tenth National Convention of Electrochemists held at CECRI, Karaikudi on April 2001.
- Recipient of the award “Outstanding Woman of the College” in Govt. College for Women, Pudukkottai during the year 1994.
- Award of “Senior Research Fellow” from CSIR, Delhi in the year 2000.
- Pursued Post-Doctoral Fellowship from Chonnam National University, South Korea during the year 2008-2009.
- INSA Visiting Scientist
- Boosting efficiency and stability using zirconia nanospheres held carbon for proton exchange membrane fuel cells, , P. Dhanasekaran, Sharon R Williams, D. Kalpana, Santoshkumar. D. Bhat Accepted in RSC Advances.
- A bio-derived carbon as an efficient supporting electro-catalyst for oxygen reduction reaction, P Rupa Kasturi, arunchander frederick, D. Kalpana, Kalaiselvan R, Communicated to Journal of Physics and Chemistry of Solids
- Fabrication of solid-state flexible fiber supercapacitor using agave americana derived activated carbon and its performance analysis at different conditions, K. Pandi, K. Vijaya Sankar, D. Kalpana, Y. S. Lee, and R. Kalai Selvan, ChemistrySelect 2016, 1, 1 – 11.
- Activated carbon from orange peels as supercapacitor electrode and catalyst support for oxygen reduction reaction in proton exchange membrane fuel cell, M. Dhelipan, A. Arunchander, A. K. Sahu, D. Kalpana, Journal of Saudi Chemical Society 4 (2017) 487-494.
- Development of high-performance supercapacitor electrode derived from sugar industry spent wash waste, Ashesh Mahto, Rajeev Gupta, Krishna Kanta Ghara, Divesh N. Srivastava, PratyushMaity, D. Kalpana, Paul Zavala-Revira, R. Meena and S.K. Nataraj, Accepted in Journal of Hazardous Materials
- Surfactant-free hydrothermal synthesis of hierarchically structured spherical CuBi2O4 as negative electrodes for Li-ion hybrid capacitors, S. Yuvaraj, K. Karthikeyan, D. Kalpana, Y.S. Lee, R. Kalaiselvan, Journal of Colloid and Interface science 469 (2016) 47-56.
- Effects of temperature and pore structure on high surface area-activated carbon obtained from Peanut Shells, D. Kalpana, Y.S. Lee, J. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 16 (2016) 1- 6.
- Electrochemical properties of CoFe2O4 nanoparticles as negative and Co(OH)2 and Co2Fe(CN)6 as positive electrodes for pseudocapacitors, A. Shanmugavani, D. Kalpana, R. Kalaiselvan, Materials Research Bulletin 71 (2015) 133-141.
- Effect of pH on the sonochemical synthesis of BiPO4 nanostructures and its electrochemical properties for pseudocapacitors, Nithya V.D, Hanitha B, Surendran S, D. Kalpana, R. Kalaiselvan, UltrasonicsSonochemistry 22 (2015) 300-310.
- Synthesis of Bi2WO6nanoparticles and its electrochemical propertiesin different electrolytes for pseudocapacitor electrodes, V.D. Nithyaa, R. KalaiSelvan,D. Kalpana, Leonid Vasylechko, C. Sanjeeviraja, ElectrochimicaActa 109 (2013) 720– 731.
- Microwave synthesis of graphene/magnetite composite electrode material for symmetric supercapacitor with superior rate performance, K. Karthikeyan, D. Kalpana, Amaresh and Yun Sung Lee, RSC Advances, 2012, 2, 12322–12328.
- Electrochemical properties of microwave-assisted reflux-synthesized Mn3O4 nanoparticles in different electrolytes for supercapacitor applications, K. VijayaSankar, D. Kalpana, R. KalaiSelvan, J ApplElectrochem (2012) 42:463–470.
- Electrochemical supercapacitor studies of hierarchial structured Co2+ substituted SnO2 nanoparticles by a hydrothermal method, K. Karthikeyan, K. Amaresh, D. Kalpana, and Yun Sung Lee, J. Physics and Chemistry of Solids, (2012) 73, 363-367.
- New, low-cost, high-power poly(o-anisidine-co-metanilic acid)/activated carbon electrode for electrochemical supercapacitors, Kalpana, D., Lee, Y. S., and Sato, Y. Journal of Power Sources190, (2009) 592-595.
- A Novel Hybrid Supercapacitor Using a Graphite Cathode and a Niobium(V) Oxide Anode, Park, G. J., Kalpana, D., Thapa, A. K., Nakamura, H., Lee, Y. S., and Yoshio, M Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society30, (2009) 817-820.
- Synthesis and characterization of ZnCo2O4 nanomaterial for symmetric supercapacitor applications, Karthikeyan, K., Kalpana, D., and Renganathan, N. G. Ionics15, (2009) 107-110.
- Recycled waste paper-A new source of raw material for electric double-layer capacitors, Kalpana, D., Cho, S. H., Lee, S. B., Lee, Y. S., Misra, R., and Renganathan, N. G. (2009) Journal of Power Sources190, 587-591.
- Electrochemical characterization of supercapacitors based on carbons derived from coffee shells, M.R. Jisha, Yun Ju Hwang, Jae Sun Shin, Kee Suk Nahm, T. PremKumar, K. Karthikeyan, N. Dhanikaivelu, D. Kalpana, N.G. Renganathan, A. Manuel Stephan, Materials Chemistry and Physics 115(1) 2009, 33-39.
- Potentiodynamic deposition of poly (o-anisidine-co-metanilic acid) on mild steel and its application as corrosion inhibitor, Kumar, P. R., Kalpana, D., Renganathan, N. G., and Pitchumani, SElectrochimicaActa54, (2008) 442-447.
- Olivine type nanoparticle for hybrid supercapacitors, R. Vasanthi, D. Kalpana, N.G. Renganathan, J. Solid State Electrochemistry, 12 (2008) 961-969.
- Camphoric carbon nanobeads - A new electrode material for supercapacitors, Kalpana. D, Karthikeyan, K., Renganathan, N. G., and Lee, Y. S. Electrochemistry Communications10, (2008) 977-979.
- Acrylamide based proton conducting polymer gel electrolyte for electric double layer capacitors, B. Ganesh, D. Kalpana, N.G. Renganathan, Ionics, 14 (2008) 339-343.
- Electrocopolymerization of poly(o-toludine-co-metanilic acid) on mild steel surfaces and their physico-electrochemical characterizations, P. Rajakumar, D. Kalpana, N.G. Renganathan and S. Pitchumani, Synthetic metals 157 (2007) 899.
- Structural, magnetic and electrochemical studies on LiCo0.5Fe0.5O2D. Kalpana, R. Justin Joseyphus, N. Sivakumar, A. Narayanasamy and M. V. Ananth, Ionics, 12 (2006) 371.
- A Novel high power symmetric ZnO/Carbon Aerogel composite electrode for electrochemical Supercapacitor, D. Kalpana, K.S. Omkumar, S. Suresh Kumar and N.G. RenganathanJ. ElectrochimActa 52 (2006) 1309.
- Size dependent properties of nanocrystallineNiO electrode for electrochemical capacitors” Proceedings in International Conference on Advances in Materials Processing and Characterization.
- A new class ofalkaline polymer gel electrolyte for carbon aerogel supercapacitor,D. Kalpana, N.G. Rengathan, S. PitchumaniJournal of Power Sources, 157(2006) 621.
- Influence of magnetic properties on electrochemical activity of LiNi0.5Fe0.5O2 ¸ D. Kalpana, R.JustinJoseyphus, C. Venkateswaran, A. Narayanasamy, M.V. AnanthJournal of Power Sources, 156 (2006) 598.
- Electrochemical deposition of polypyrrole for symmetric supercapacitors by B. Muthulakshmi, D. Kalpana, N.G. Renganathan, S .Pitchumani, Journal of Power Sources, 158 (2006) 1533.
- Electrocatalytic properties of electrodeposited Ni–Mn–S system in alkaline electrolytes, D. Kalpanaand M.V.Ananth, Transactions of the lnstitute of Metal Finishing 2005 Vol.83, No.31
- Synthesis and characterization of nanocrystalline SnO2 and fabrication of lithium cell using nano SnO2, A. Chandra Bose, D. Kalpana, P. Thangadurai, S. Ramasamy, Journal of Power Sources, 107, (2002) 138-141.
- Hydrogen discharge on electrodeposited Ni-Mn-Fe coatings in 30 wt% KOH, A. Stephan, D. Kalpana, M.V. Ananth and V. Ravichandran, International Journal of Hydrogen energy, 24, (1999) 1059-1066.
- Synergistic effects and conductivity dispersions in MnO2, D. Kalpana, M.V. Ananth, A. Narayanasamy, K. Dakshinamoorthi, J. Electrochem. Soc. India, 47 (1998) 34-38.
- Preparation and characterization of Li1.1Mn2O4/polymer electrolyte graphite cell, R. Chandrasekaran, S. Selladurai, D. Kalpana, Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Physics, 37 (1999) 345-348.
Patents and Copyrights
- Evaluation of PEEK based membranes as Proton exchange membrane (PEM) for fuel cell applications, BHEL, Hyderabad - Completed
- New materials for next generation Li-ion batteries and ultra capacitors, CSIR- non-networked project - Completed
- Development of conducting polymer- carbon based super capacitor (OLP 0045), Inhouse project – completed
- Development of one-step electrodeposition of platinum nano arrays on sulphur doped grpahene for high-performance electrocatalyst, Naval Research Board, DRDO – Ongoing