CSIR National Metallurgical Laboratory (NML) is a premier laboratory within the ambit of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi, a statutory body under Government of India. CSIR National Metallurgical Laboratory Madras Centre (NML-MC) an extension Centre of CSIR NML, over the years has undertaken several R&D projects in the areas of mineral beneficiation, micro-structural characterization and failure analysis of various industrial components. The Centre has developed flow sheets for the beneficiation of ferrous and non-ferrous, industrial minerals which include limestone, feldspar, barites etc. In recent years, the Centre has made significant contributions to the development of column flotation technology for Indian mineral industry. Commercial flotation columns were commissioned for the beneficiation of sillimanite and barites.
Over the years Centre has developed expertise and state-of-the-art facilities to carry out material characterisation and metallurgical failure investigations for various engineering industries like power and automobile sector.
Centre is actively working towards developing value added products from mineral/mine wastes and also provides services for characterisation of tiles, paver blocks and natural building stones.
CSIR NML-MC technologies available for commercialization
Column flotation technology for the beneficiation of ores and minerals
R&D Services offered
- Process development in mineral beneficiation (barites, beach sand minerals, iron ore, limestone, graphite & coal)
- Design and development of flotation columns for industrial applications
- Investigations on failure analysis of metallurgical components, root cause analysis and remedial measures
- Development of value added products from mineral/mines wastes/rejects
Our facilities include
- Mineral processing
- Denver sub-aerated laboratory flotation machine (5 kg), Automated laboratory (75 mm) & semi-commercial (500 mm) column flotation system, High intensity dry magnetic separator (20000 gauss), Hydrocyclone, laboratory test rig (MOZLEY), Petrological microscope, Mohrs hardness
- Material characterization
- Micronizer - Planetary mill (FRITSCH), Contact angle measuring system (KRUSS), Pycnometer for specific gravity measurements (MICROMERETICS), BET Analyser for surface area and porosity measurements of powders (MICROMERETICS), Particle size analyzer (0.04 to 2500 microns) – Wet & dry modes (CILAS 1180), Rheometer (Anton Parr, Austria), Zeta Sizer (Dispersion Technologies Inc. USA)
- Physical metallurgy
- Metallurgical Microscope with Image Analyzer (LEICA), Microhardness tester – Vickers (LEICA), Macroharness testers – Rockwell and Brinell (INDENTEC), Stereo microscope (LEITZ) with camera attachment
- Tiles evaluation
- Automatic Compression Testing Machine (2000 KN), Automatic Flexural Testing Machine (100 KN), Manual flexural testing machine, Abrasion Testing Machine, Cement concrete tiles/pavers making machine
Our esteemed clients
- Kerala Mines and Minerals Ltd.
- English India Clay Ltd.
- RAMCO Cements Ltd.
- TATA STEEL
- HINDUJA Foundries
- Hinustan Zinc Ltd.
- Indian Rare Earths Ltd.
- McNally Sayaji Eng Ltd.
- Somu Organo Chem Ltd.
- SIBELCO India Ltd.
- Andhra Barytes & Chemicals Ltd.
- OREN Hydrocarbons Ltd.
- VV Minerals Ltd.
- Ultra Tiles Ltd.
- Japeva Tiles Ltd.
- GEM Granites Ltd.