Dr A GOPAL
Chief Scientist & Scientist-in-charge
- 044-2254 2281
- Academic Background
- Professional Background
- Areas of Scientific Interest
- Awards & Honours
- Parents and Copyrights
- PhD Guidance
- Contributions to Book
- PHD and PG Thesis
- Post Doctoral Fellowship at USA during the year 1998.
- Ph.D Thesis Title : Studies on the instrumentation development for the measurements of elastic constants of paper and paper products having applications in production and quality control.
- M.Sc., (Physics)
- B.Sc., (Physics)
- Scientist-in-charge of the Centre.
- 31-10-1988 - 30-101993 Scientist -B
- 31-10-1993 - 30-10-1998 Scientist-C
- 31-10-1998 - 30-10-2003 Scientist-EI
- 31-10-2003 - 30-10-2008 Scientist-EII
- 31-10-2008 - 30-10-2014 Senior Principal Scientist
- 31-10-2014 - till date Chief Scientist
- 01-7-2016 - till date Scientist-in-charge
- Guiding the D projects of the Centre in the areas of machine vision systems, IR signal analysis & instrumentation to cater to the needs of food & horticulture sectors. Many new projects in key industrial sectors identified, linkages established and proposals submitted for external funding with my guidance.
- Overall management of the Centre in day-to-day activities.
- Co-ordination with CSIR Madras Complex & CSIR-SERC.
- Co-ordination with CSIR-CEERI, Pilani in R&D Programmes and other activities.
Areas of Scientific Interest
- Design & Development of off-line electronic systems for industrial applications like paper industry.
- Machine vision system for societal applications.
- NIRS for industrial instrumentation.
- Signal analytics under Cyber Physical Systems.
- Organization of International conference, training programs, workshops, etc.
- Recognized as guide for Ph.D programmes of various universities.
- Project Management & Business Development
Awards & Honours
- 1990 Foundation Day Merit award of CEERI, Pilani.
- 1998 Achievement/merit award from Oakland University, USA for the outstanding contribution towards teaching & research during the fellowship program at the Department of Computer Science, Oakland University for the year 1998.
- 2001 First Best paper award for contribution to the publication of the paper on ’Optical paper formation Analyser’ –Rao P.Sudhakara, Sridhar.R, Gopal A, Meenakshi.K, Revathy.R, Chitra.K and Palaniandi.D - Journal of IPPTA, Annual Convention Issue 2001, p 23-30.
- 2001S Aixth Best paper award for contribution to the publication of the paper on ’Novel shape feature extraction and apples classification using computer vision’ -(P.Sudhakara Rao, Dr.A.Gopal & S.Md.Iqbal) – published in the proceedings of Second International Conference on EIT-2001, held at USA during June 7-9, 2001
- 2004 First Best paper award for contribution to the publication of the paper on ’Image processing algorithms for shape analysis of potatoes –(Gopal.A, Mr.Md.Iqbal and Revathy.R)- published in the proceedings of 4th International Conference on Trends in Industrial Measurements and Automation during December 15-18, 2004
- 2008 ISA Asia Pacific District –14 Prof. LIPTAK award for the year 2008 for the significant contribution to Instrumentation Automation through the involvement in ISA south India section activities
- 2014 One of the best paper recognition of the conference of the paper “Detection and Quantification of Adulteration in Honey through Near Infrared Spectroscopy”- A.Gopal & C.Kumaravelu - Paper published in the first proceedings of the first International conference on Food Properties
- 2015 Best Paper award - "Design, development and construction of a stationary weighing mechanism for handling citrus fruits using Maltese Cross Principle" at the "1st International Conference on Advances in Science, Management and Engineering" held at Chennai on 26-12-2015.
- 2016 Best paper award “Quality assessment of single cotton Seed based on its protein and oil content using NIRS – C.Kumaravelu A.Gopal.”- International conference on recent trends in engineering science & management (ICRTESM 2016), held at Madurai during 15-16, July 2016
|Year||Title of Paper||Name of Journal|
|1989||A non-destructive technique to measure tensile strength of paper||Journal of Instrument Society of India, Vol.19, No.4, pp.327-334.|
|1991||A non-destructive method of measuring the strength of paper||IMEKO XII – 12th IMEKO World Congress - Measurement and Progress – DIGEST Vol.II, P.II-283 – II-284.|
|1991||Estimating Poisson ratio in paper using non-destructive technique||Journal of Instrument Society of India, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 36-48|
|1993||A non-destructive technique for measuring the tensile strength and breaking length of paper||Proceedings of the 26th Pulp and Paper Annual Meeting (ABTCP), Sao Paulo, Brazil, November 22-26, pp.262.|
|1993||A pc based system for determining elastic constant and anisotropy of paper||Journal of Instrument Society of India, Vol.22, No.3,4, pp.112-121|
|1995||A pc based colour and strength monitoring system for the pulp and paper industry||Journal of Indian Pulp and Paper Technical Association (IPPTA), Vol. No.2, pp. 21-32|
|1995||Measurement of tensile strength and breaking length||Kothari’s Desk Book Series on the Paper Industry – Technology & Instrumentation, pp.241-252|
|1996||A microprocessor based ultrasonic velocity monitor for liquids||Journal of Instrument Society of India, Vol.26, No.4, pp.149-158|
|1997||Ultrasonic instrumentation in paper industry||Proceedings of TCDC International Training Workshop on the Application of On-Line Instrumentation in Pulp & Paper, Leather and Food Processing Industries, Madras, India, 3-8 February.|
|1998||Electric power steering||Proceedings of DSP Fest at Houston, USA by Texas Instruments|
|1999||Electric power steering system using DSP||Proceedings of. International Conference on TIMA-99 held at Anna University, Madras|
|2001||Optical paper formation analyzer||Journal of IPPTA, Annual Convention Issue, pp 23-30|
|2001||Novel shape feature extraction and apples classification using computer vision||Proceedings of Second International Conference on EIT-2001 held at USA during June 7-9|
|2001||A new approach for size determination of apple fruit for automatic sorting and grading||Proceedings of Second International Conference on EIT-2001 held at USA during June 7-9|
|2001||Design of the illumination system for sorting and grading of fruits||Proc. of 3rd International Conference on Trends in Industrial Measurements and Automation-TIMA Chennai, August 17-19.|
|2001||Colour space analysis of fruits like apples||Proc. of 3rd International Conference on Trends in Industrial Measurements and Automation-TIMA Chennai, August 17-19.|
|2001||New approach to define paper formation measurement||Proc. of 3rd International Conference on Trends in Industrial Measurements and Automation-TIMA Chennai, August 17-19.|
|2003||Potatoes shape comparison using moments||Proceedings of AMSA, Chennai, Dec.17-18.|
|2003||Biscuits colour classification using linear discriminant analysis||Proceedings of AMSA, Chennai, Dec.17-18.|
|2004||Colour analysis of fruits using machine vision system for automatic sorting and grading||Jr. of Instrument Society of India, Vol: 34, No:4, pp 284-292|
|2004||Classification of fruits based on shape using image processing technique||Jr. of Instrument Society of India, Vol:34, No:4, pp 227-239.|
|2004||Color classification of fruits using color distance method||Proc. of 4th International Conference on Trends in Industrial Measurements and Automation pp.355-362|
|2004||Image processing algorithms for shape analysis of potatoes||Proc. of 4th International Conference on Trends in Industrial Measurements and Automation pp.389-398|
|2004||Development of a paper dirt speck analyzer system based on image processing technique-||Journal of IPPTA on “Leveraging I.T and Process Automation in Pulp and Paper Industry|
|2008||Paper Dirt Speck Measurement using Image Processing Techniques.||Paper Presented at National symposium on Instrumentation organized by ISOI during 8-10, December at Andhra University, VIZAG.|
|200||Non-Destructive testing Instrument system and method for detecting Internal defects (spongy tissue, Seed weevil & such others) in post harvested mangoes and sorting based on real time X-ray imaging and analysis.||Initiated action for filing of Patent.|
|2009||Image processing technique for detection of black spot on mango surface||Jr. of Instrument Society of India, Vol:39, No:3, pp 288-291.|
|2009||Implementation of shape classification algorithm for apple fruits in matalb||Proceedings of NCVII-2009) held at BITS, Pilani from November 13-14, 2009|
|2009||Conveying Systems for Machine Vision Inspection of some Fruits and Vegetables – A Review||Proceedings of NCVII-2009) held at BITS, Pilani from November 13-14, 2009|
|2010||Review of Machine Vision based Apple Sorting Systems - Review||Jr. of Instrument Society of India, Vol: 40 No:1, pp 54-57|
|2010||Image Processing Algorithms for Detection of Surface Defects on Apples and Its Parallel Execution in Cluster||Jr. of Instrument Society of India, Vol: 40 No:2, pp 103-106.|
|2011||Volume Estimation of Apple fruits using Image Processing||2011 International Conference on Image Information Processing (ICIIP 2011) Proceedings of IEEE Explore.|
|2012||“Classification of Color Objects like Fruits using Probability Density Function (PDF)”||International conference on Machine vision and Image Processing –MVIP 2012 –Published by IEEE explore. [978-4673-2320-8-2012-IEEE]|
|2012||“Classification of Selected Medicinal Plants Leaf Using Image Processing”||International conference on Machine vision and Image Processing –MVIP 2012 –Published by IEEE explore. [978-4673-2320-8-2012-IEEE]|
|2012||“Classification of Biscuits based on Color and Dimension using Image Processing Techniques||JR.ISOI,Vol.42,No.4, pp 276-279, 2012|
|2012||“Embedded System for real-time inspection and sorting of biscuits on moving conveyor”-||Jr.IJESCE,Vol.4,No.2,89-93,2012 International journal of Embedded system and computer Engineering]|
|2012||Image Processing Tool to Identify Plants from Leaf Images”||Proceedings of International conference on computer research and development (ICCRD 2013) pp 89-94-ISBN 97807 91860182 - Published by ASME Digital Library.|
|2013||Imaging System for quality Evaluation of Fruits & Horticultural Inspection,||Proceedings of International Conference on Sensing, Signal Processing & Security –ICSSS 2013-ISBN-978-81-908343-3-9.|
|2013||“Studies on Identification of Medicinal Plant Variety Based on NIR Spectroscopy Using Plant Leaves “||Paper accepted for presentation and publication in the proceedings of 15th International conference on ICACT 2013,10-11 , August to be published by IEEE explore|
|2013||Wireless Implementation of Mems Accelerometer to Detect Red Palm Weevil On Palms||Paper accepted for presentation to ICAES 2013 conference to be held at CEERI Pilani and to be published in IEEE explore. .-978-1-4799-1441-8/13/IEEE-PP-248-252-|
|2013||Identification of Selected Medicinal Plant Leaves Using Image Features and ANN||Paper accepted for presentation to ICAES 2013 conference to be held at CEERI Pilani and to be published in IEEE explore.-978-1-4799-1441-8/13/IEEE-PP-238-242.|
|2013||Paper accepted for presentation in ICCCNT 2013 conference during July 3-6.2013. Paper to be published in IEEE Xplore.||Paper accepted for presentation in ICCCNT 2013 conference during July 3-6.2013. Paper to be published in IEEE Xplore.|
|2014||Estimation of Volume and Mass of Axi-symmetric Fruits using Image Processing Technique||International Journal of Food of food properies, Vol,18, No3,pp 608-626,2015.|
|2014||“Honey Quality Evaluation and a Case Study on Effect of Jaggery Adulteration Using Spectral Techniques||Jr.ISOI Vol.44No.4 pp 106-108.|
|2014||Detection and Quantification of Adulteration in Honey through Near Infrared Spectroscopy||Paper published in the first International conference on Food properties –[ICFP2014]. Prepared under the direction of IEOM Research Solutions. ISBN: 9780980825121 (CD-ROM)- Received One of the best paper recognition of the conference of the paper.|
|2014||Identifying Sound of RPW In-Situ from External Sources||Published in Artificial Intelligence and Evolutionary Algorithms in Engineering SystemsAdvances in Intelligent Systems and Computing Volume 324, 2015, pp 681-691|
|2014||Automated Quality Inspection of Citrus Fruits – A Review||Accepted for publication in the proceedings of International Conference on Advanced and Agile Manufacturing Systems, ICAM-2014, held at Oakland University, USA, May 28-30, 2014|
|2014||“Leaf Image Processing-Review”||Paper accepted for the publication I n the proceedings of 2nd International Conference On Science and Management (ICSEM) to be held during March 28th -29th, 2014|
|2014||A Review of Techniques based on Spectroscopy and Multivariate Analysis for the Authentication of Honey||Proceedings of International conference on Perspective in Vibrational spectroscopy ICOPVS held at Trivandrum during 8-12, July 2014|
|2014||A Review on Adulteration of Honey using Spectroscopic Techniques||Poceedings of International conference on Perspective in Vibrational spectroscopy ICOPVS held at Trivandram during 8-12, July 2014|
|2014||Classification of wheat grains using Infrared spectroscophy.||Poceedings of International conference on Perspective in Vibrational spectroscopy ICOPVS held at Trivandram during 8-12, July 2014|
|2014||Near Infra-Red Spectroscopy for Quality Assessment of Indian Traditional Herbal Medicines: A Review.’||Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014; 5(8): 3133-43.doi: 10.13040/IJPSR.0975-8232.5(8).3133-43|
|2014||“Seed Germination analysis using Image processing techniques||Jr. of Instrument Society of India, Vol: 44 No:4, pp 252-255.|
|2014||"A Comparative study on Detection of Adulteration on Honey||International Journal of Applied Engineering Research>|
|2014||"A study on Classification of Wheat grains using IR Spectroscopy" a||International Journal of Applied Engineering Research ISSN 0973-4562 Volume 9, Number 23 (2014) pp. 20485-20489|
|2014||Automated Quality Inspection of Citrus Fruits – A Review||International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing systems, Volume 15, Issue 2, 125-140, 2015|
|2015||Database formation for authentication of tulsi leaf using image processing technique”||Gate to Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (gtCVPR) vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 9-17, 2015 doi:10.15579/gtcvpr. 0101.009017|
|2015||Grading of Citrus Fruits Based on Size and Shape Using Image Processing S. Md. Iqbal1,2*, P.E.Sankara-narayanan3, A. Gopal1, Athira B. Nair4||Paper published in proceedings of ISCN 2015 International conference organized by MIT during 26-27, March 2015.|
|2015||Quality Evaluation of Honey using Multivariate Analysis C.Kumaravelu 1, a, G.Rajalakshmi 2, a, A.Gopal 1, Y. Prateek Reddy||Paper accepted for publication in to International Journal of Applied Engineering Research.[ IJAER Paper Code: 32717]|
|2015||Classification of Selected Citrus Fruits based on Colour using Machine Vision System- S. Md. Iqbal1,2*, P.E.Sankara-narayanan3, A. Gopal1, Athira B. Nair4||To cite this article: S. Md. Iqbal, A. Gopal, P.E. Sankaranarayanan & Athira B. Nair (2015): Classification of Selected Citrus Fruits based on Colour using Machine Vision System, International Journal of Food Properties, DOI: International Journal of Food PropertiesVolume 19, Issue 2, February 2016, pages 272-288|
|2015||"Authentication of Leaf Image Using Image Processing Technique"||ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences -.VOL. 10, NO. 9, MAY 2015. ISSN 1819-6608- pp -4287-4201|
Parents and Copyrights
- Patent titled “Non-destructive method for testing the viability of individual cotton seed using NIR Spectroscopy “ was filed with Application No.3060DEL 2014
- As a project leader, transferred the technology on “Paper Formation Analyser”.
- As an alternate project leader involved in the transfer of the technology on
- “Electronic weighing based fruit
- sorting system” to M/s.Stay Fresh, Navi Mumbai.
- “X-ray imaging based mango
- sorting system” to M/s.Proteck Circuits & Systems Pvt. Ltd. Chennai.
- Recognized as Supervisor for giving guidance to Ph.D programs by Sathyabhama University, Chennai.
- Mr.C.Kumaravelu, Principal Scientist, CEERI Chennai for his topic on “Exploratory Multivariate Data Analysis with application in Agro food processing industries.”
- Mrs.T.Vijayashree, Lecturer, Sathyabhama University, for her topic on “Studies on Authetication and Standardization of selected medicinal plants leaf using image processing Techniques”.
- Mrs.Anne Frank Joe, Lecturer, Sathyabhama University, for her topic on “ Calssifications of Wheat grains using Infrared spectroscophy”.
- Mrs.Rajalakshmi, Lecturer, Sathyabhama University, for her topic on “A study on adulteration of Honey using spectroscopic techniques”.
- Mr.S.Md.Iqbal, Senior Principal scientist, CEERI Chennai for his topic on “ Studies on Design & Development of machine vision system for automatic inspection of citrus fruits.”
- Nominated as expert member of (DAC) of Mr.J.Suriya Prakash of CSIR-CEERI Chennai pursuing Ph.D in ACSIR, of CEERI Pilani
- Nominated as expert member of (DAC) of Mrs. NIrmala of CSIR-CEERI Chennai pursuing Ph.D in ACSIR, of CEERI Pilani.
Contributions to Book
- Contributed to a chapter in a book Design, Development and Construction of a Stationary Weighing Mechanism for Handling Citrus Fruits using Maltese Cross Principle" - S.Md.Iqbal & A.Gopal, Advanced Engineering Research and Applications (AERA). - Chapter Code : 1033(B) -Page No. : 175-188
PHD and PG Thesis
- In capacity as External Examiner conducted Viva –voce exam to one Ph.D student at NIT, Trichy
- In capacity as Indian examiner submitted evaluation report on Ph.D thesis on “Methodological analysis and classification of electrocardiograph signals using continuous wavelet transform “-GITAM University, Vizag
- External examiner of Ph.D thesis on “Enhancement of bandwidth and isolation parameters of microstrip antennas and dielectric resonators antennas for MIMO systems – JNTU, Hyderabad.
- External examiner of Ph.D thesis on “Automatic image segmentation approach for textures with applications to medical images “- JNTU, KAKINADA.
- In capacity as External Examiner conducted VIVA-VOCE examination of Ph.D candidate of GEETHAM University, VIZAG on 29-8-2013.
- In capacity as External Examiner nominated as examiner to conduct VIVA-VOCE examination of Ph.D candidate of JNTU, University KAKINADA on 19th December 2013.
- In capacity as External examiner evaluated Ph.D thesis “ Bandwidth efficient human centered online document access system using compound image framework” & Conducted Viva –Voce exam of Diwakar, Dept of ECE of SRM University, Chennai on 19th May 2014